Monday 1 September 2014

Gustav Adolf Fischer, March 1, 1929 - February 9, 2014

My Papa

On February 9th I sat by my father's bed as his battle with ALS came to an end. Over the past few years, as he could no longer speak, finding new things to tell him about became something I was ever mindful of. My father always loved a good story and was especially pleased when any story you shared reminded him of his life and past experiences. Throughout this trip he has never been far from my thoughts. The sights, the people, the food, my fumbling with the German language, and so many other things I wish I could tell him about. Today was no different.

As we cruised down the Rhine we were, as stated yesterday, impressed with the scenery and all the castles. My father was a great lover of history and knew European history very well. He would have been able to tell me about the forces at work at different times during the known history of this mighty river. He also would have been able to talk about the vineyards and which grapes produced his favourite wines. As the ships went by he could identify home ports, types of cargo and destinations.  He would have noted the depth of the rivers and what was contributing to the height. In all, if Papa was here I would be approaching the end of our journey with far greater knowledge and understanding of the area than I presently have. I like to think he rides with me in spirit.  A few months ago I would have been able to pop into his room and share my adventures. Now I just say, Papa, I miss you. I will not, however say good bye, instead I say, "Papa, auf wiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment